Monday, March 2, 2009

Family


I come from a big family - 5 brothers and 4 sisters, many nieces and nephews. Everyone has been making their way to Southern Cali to see our sister. I think about this and I am grateful that they feel in their hearts to come and see her.

I think about all our family reunions when my dad was still alive. I don't think we were ever all together. To this day we never have been altogether. My dad died many years ago and I miss him dearly. I remember I had a dream of him once a couple of years after he had passed away. I was sitting at a "puesto" somewhere in Mexico, I imagined in Cortazar, Gto. where my dad grew up. My dad was cutting someone's hair (he used to do this when he was alive - cut anyone's hair). I glanced over at him and he was younger and strong -- standing. He said to me, "Prieta, es posible que me traigas un limon?" (Is it possible for you to bring me a lemon?) I jumped off the stool and said, "Sure, Dad." And as I said that, I sat up in bed. My husband asked where I was going, and I wanted so much to go back to that dream to see my dad again. This is when I knew he was just fine.

My sister continued my parent's Christmas parties inviting anyone who wanted to come. She always called my family "the die-hards" because we always came no matter what. Then again we live only 45 minutes away. :-) I always went for my mom and for her. Christmas is her favorite holiday like it was for my dad.


We continue to come because we love her.
Our sadness is overwhelming. . .

No comments:

Music of the Heart


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones