Thursday, March 12, 2009

A New Book

My little sister gave me this book last week. I began to read it as I sat in the waiting room of my husband's doctor (check-up). The inside cover caught my attention, "What do spiritual convictions have to do with traffic jams, job anxiety, reading the newspaper, or arguing with your spouse." According to the author, everything. Ok, I'm hooked. I continued to read and the beginning was written in a "magical, mystical, realms of consciousness" sort of way. She went on to talk about a "lost dimension" of experience that we all yearn for -- the nature of our reality. She makes a connection from the mystical to the spiritual and how as children we were drawn to stories in which people lived a more magical existence. As we've became older, we lose the magic, not realizing that it still lives within us -- we just need to find it.

I've never been much of a Harry Potter fan, although my son was one of those children waiting in line at the bookstore at 4:00 in the morning with his dad for the next 400 page edition of the new book. He would read it to me and talk about the characters in a way that I could not understand. As he read he became a part of this storyline and this magical place of Muggles.

The author goes on to speak of "The Mystical Wands." These are spiritual principles. Now she's talking my language :-).

Interesting was the thought that "all the darkness in the world stems from the darkness in the heart." Deep and profound, but yet so simple. I have always known this. I remember telling my children this very thought when they were small and fought with each other. "He is your brother, or she is your sister --you are all you have, do not stay angry with each other, do not let your heart get dark." Did they understand that when they were six and ten years old? I think they did because they love each other and look for each other to this day. They are adults now and I don't think I've ever seen them angry with each other.

We strive to be good, spritual people. We are only human and we often fail, but we continue to try.

Ok sister, this book is different from my Nicholas Sparks romance novels :-), but it has my interest. I'll have to really contemplate what I read and let you know what I think. :-)

No comments:

Music of the Heart


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones