Thursday, April 29, 2010

Life


Today we handed out information about our teachers who are getting laid off. We stood on the outer perimeters of our school with our black clothes and our soon-to-be laid off teachers in pink to go along with their dreaded pink slips. The information was in English and Spanish which I thought was a good strategy on the part of our union. We are close to 100% Latino population. It is odd to see a blond child at our school and when we do, this child definitely stands out.

Our students are I'm sure taken a back to see us, their teachers, away from the classroom handing out papers. The first question they asked today was, "Teacher, what were you doing?" My response is, "Let your parents read it and explain it to you." I feel sad for my fellow teachers who were pink slipped. They carry a worry with them that I would not want. Many of them are young and barely beginning their lives in the teaching world. I love my job, sometimes it doesn't seem like a job at all because of what I do. I love spending time with my students and teaching them new things. I try to make it exciting for them. Today one of my students said, "Mrs. L., Math is like a puzzle and we figured it out." I was so happy to hear that from her. "Yes, it's like a puzzle, isn't it exciting?"I have such a good time with them.

I wish my young teacher friends good luck tomorrow as they meet with the union to see what they can do next and what to expect.

Life~forever changing.

No comments:

Music of the Heart


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones