Sunday, January 4, 2009

A New Year

A new year has begun. Usually in the past I have always wondered, "What will this new year bring us?" This year, however, I want to say I don't want to know. Perhaps because I already know the struggles that will be faced by loved ones or the sadness I already feel in my heart. In church today, one of the brothers talked about faith and belief in the goodness of the Lord especially during trials or sadnesses. I try.

Tomorrow we all go back to work. It's been a good vacation, lots of rest. Tomorrow my sister also goes to see her oncology doctor. My mom will be with her and me, too. I 'm so glad she is letting me be there with her. I try to be good support for them. She looks good and she is regaining her strength. She is eating well and she feels like she is healing well. I get so excited because I believe in miracles and keep praying for a complete healing. She is my sister and I love her so much.

I asked her the other day how it is that we ended up here in California having grown up almost all our young lives in Idaho. My memory is short and I tend to forget some things. :-) I'm so glad we did come here because this is where I met my husband, but I just wanted to know. She reminded me that when it was time to go to college she did not want to stay in Idaho and go to the nearest community college -- our dad had told her that if we were to go to California (my dad loved California) then we needed to be near family. We have family near L.A. Cool. Therefore, she picked San Bernardino, waited for me to graduate, and together we came on July 4th, 1972 on the Greyhound bus. Can you imagine the thrill of seeing fireworks going off as we passed towns and cities via Salt Lake City. I was so happy to venture away from Idaho. And to come to California -- that was the ultimate. After she reminded me, I remembered.

We lived together her and I for the first two years -- she took care of me and hopefully I took care of her. Her friends were my friends and my friends were her's. We lived on rice and beans, jelly on crackers, and an occassional donut from Winchell's Donut House. She used to get frustrated with me when she would have to study for an exam and I didn't. Tests were easy for me. When I met my "honey" she met him, too. And the best part was that she liked him. The three of us go back so far.

Sometimes we take for granted the people who are around us, especially family. We know that they are always there when we need them.

We need to speak Life, goodness, and encouragement.

God bless us all

No comments:

Music of the Heart


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones