Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A Perfect Day . . .

We made it to the beach! What a beautiful place! This is a "tuna boat" so called by the locals because all the tourists are packed like tuna :). It looked like fun. We waved and they waved back. It's a ferry ride around the harbor.

I like this picture because you can see a lighthouse out in the ocean, the different boats and especially the old ship, also ferrying tourists.


And there they go! It was amazing to see - such a good replica of those ships in the history books. I want to say galleons - yes?



Terminal Island:
My sister and brother-in-law took us to see a memorial to honor first and second generation Japanese citizens prior to World War II. History has it that after the attack on Pearl Harbor, all the adult males were incarcerated by the FBI and the rest of the inhabitants were forced to evacuate their homes within 48 hours. They were sent to internment camps. The entire village was razed to the ground. This was a thriving village, a seaport with shops, restaurants, homes and schools. In 2002, the surviving second generation setup this memorial on Terminal Island to honor their parents.


Intricate statues of Japanese citizens doing their work.


If you look at the glass image in a certain way, you are able to see what the village looked like in its thriving years.

After dinner, we went for a walk on the beach. I think this is what it's all about. Being with my husband who loves me very much and my sister and brother-in-law. It was good to walk with her and talk. We talked about our sister and our feelings. We hugged, we cried. We have the same feelings about life and we are trying to get through it. With everything that had been going on in our lives, we were able to talk about our children and our hopes for the future. I am so proud of her and what she continues to do in her life. She is my special little sister and I love her so.


One last look before we got ready to go home. So wonderous... I think in our next lifetime, we will come back living near the ocean :).








No comments:

Music of the Heart


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones