Friday, August 15, 2008

Simple Life

Where have the simple days gone? Yesterday I had a child (first grade, mind you) who told his partner "f-you" but used the long version. I could not believe it. When I asked him why he said that he shrugged his shoulders and said "I don't know." ok. Then this morning I had a child who twisted another child's arm for the third time and I had to send him to the office with a referral. I'm at a loss right now.

Growing up in a small town back in the 60's and 70's, it was unheard of to use vulgar language. I don't even think I heard it till I moved to California. Children were very respectful of their teachers. But I do realize the problems that exist today for our school children - don't get me wrong - times have changed.

I was telling my husband yesterday how my mom used to make all our lunches from scratch. Our bread was homemade (the best you ever tasted). She would make hamburger patties or egg salad. It was a treat for us when we actually got a baloney sandwich in our lunch -- I think that's why I like baloney so much now. A good baloney sandwich with a cup of coffee is the best! mmmm....

We also used to spend a lot of time outside -- gardening, fishing, working on the farm, playing with each other since there were 8 of us kids at one time. We didn't watch tv too much. I remember watching shows like Lawrence Welk, Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Car 54 - Where Are You?The Three Stooges. Later on we would watch Laugh In! Loved Goldie Hawn!

The picture up above is my old school gym. We were the Pirates! Going to basketball games was the highlight of our town-- that was the best time of my high school life. As a reward about three times a year, we got to watch a movie on a screen set up on the stage. It was so much fun since we had no movie theater in our little town. We watched The Guns of Navarone with Gregory Peck. We also watched To Kill a Mockingbird -- also with Gregory Peck. Don't forget Where the Red Fern Grows and The Yearling. Good all-American movies :-).

Yes siree -- life was simpler . . . then.

No comments:

Music of the Heart


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones