Sunday, September 7, 2008

El Periquito

Ok, so this little lost "periquito" practically flies into my hand on Labor Day as we are enjoying a dinner of barbequed ribs and veggies. I quickly get some food from our parrot's bag of goodies and this little famished bird starts eating. What to do. I don't want another bird. Our parrot, Harley, is enough. In fact, he can be a handful, especially right now that he tears up the newspaper at the bottom of his cage in shreds -- a nesting habit or stress -- we don't know. It can't be a nesting habit because he's a boy (or at least we think he is). And what does he have to be stressed about? He has a big cage, lots of attention, good food and water.

When we were growing up, my parents had a parrot, too. Except that this parrot talked. He would say "Cotorita, cotorita!" And he would whistle like a construction worker whistles at a pretty girl walking by. He would also say "Meow -- meow." And he would laugh! He was such a character!

Harley is still a baby -- he is probably about 2-3 years old. He is beginning to say a sound that to me sounds like "Hello." But then he'll say it for everything! Ha!

So back to the little periquito -- I've asked everyone in my immediate family -- no one wants him. He sings beautifully :-). I'm going to ask the "moms" of my students and see if anyone wants him. I don't know -- I think I'm getting a little bit attached, but I don't want to.

Beautiful little bird.

No comments:

Music of the Heart


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones