Thursday, August 16, 2007

Summer . . .

The end of my summer break is near. Soon I'll be back at it, teaching little ones, correctiing their papers, entering scores etc. etc. etc. It's been quite a month. Some months when I'm off track, I do very little because I'm not feeling well, but this month I have learned to eat better (no meat :-), no soda, very little chocolate. People (family) keep telling me to stop drinking coffee, but that's not the problem. Coffee to me is the ultimate pleasure when it comes to food or drink. I have been drinking coffee since I was maybe 15 or 16 years old, or younger. I have always enjoyed it con un pedazito de pan. My favorite is Folgers Columbian with cream and a little bit of sugar. Oh, I also enjoy a cup of Mocha Latte with whipped cream from Starbucks or Border's Seattle Coffee -- Ummmm .... the BEST! In my life time, I only stopped drinking coffee when I was pregnant with my kids and that was sooooo hard, but necessary.

I remember once, when our coffee maker broke, I told my husband that I would quit cold turkey. First day, ok. Second day -- a bit grouchy and head aches. Third day -- my husband told our oldest son "Son, go down to the AM/PM and get your mom a cup of coffee -- I LOVED HIM! Then we went a bought a new coffee maker. Ha!

Anyway, to another topic. As I was saying, summer break is almost over. Our youngest will be a junior this year. He got his Learner's Permit for driving. He's growing up.

Sometimes when I am somewhere waiting for something whether it be at a stop light or waiting at a store or doctor's office, I see parents with little ones, talkative little ones, excited little ones and I feel sad. I start to remember my kids when they were at that age. Have you seen that commercial where the little girl is talking and talking and the dad is trying to close the door and he runs around to the driver's side and she's still talking? That was our daughter. We loved to hear her chatter. She always had so much to say. Took after her Dad. :-) Then our first son, he was always so quiet and serious. One day when we were going to school and he was sitting in the back seat he said "Mom, why didn't you name me Bill Lopez or Nino Cosby? I turned around to see if he was laughing and he sat there with the most serious face, I knew he was joking and I started to laugh -- then we both laughed. Then there is my youngest, he was a blend of my two oldest -- quiet and talkative. I enjoy our conversations in the morning on our way to school. I enjoy his help in the kitchen. He's no longer a child, but a young adult. He's talking college and future. I foresee that with God's blessings he will soon be on his way, too and then we will be alone without kids. All I wanted to be in life was a mother. This is what makes me sad . . . But maybe I can think positive and be happy that they are all successful in their lives and now I can learn to just be who I am and enjoy spending time with them when I see them. Long and drawn out, I know, but this was my month -- a contemplation of memories, thoughts for the future, thoughts of who I am becoming, thoughts of better health and a strive to meet that goal, thoughts about thoughts. God bless ALL my kids.

No comments:

Music of the Heart


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones