Monday, April 2, 2007

The Great Physician

Two Sundays ago, we heard a story about a woman who had been bleeding for twelve years. She had suffered a great deal and had continued to get worse. When she heard about Jesus, she came up behind Him and touched his cloak -- I imagine that she touched the hem of his cloak -- because she thought "If I touch his clothes, I will be healed." And she was -- immediately. When Jesus asked, "Who touched my clothes?" and when he looked around, the woman knowing what had happened to her, came and fell at his feet and, trembling with fear, told him the whole truth. And Jesus said to her, "Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering."

This story has always been one of my favorites. When I hear it, I am in awe of this woman because of the honor she had to be able to see Jesus and to touch him, even his garment. Can you imagine to be in His presence? It's a wonderful story.

This story also reminded me of my sister. She has always told me, "I have faith that I will be alright." My response to her was "I will have faith, too." Throughout our lives, I have always felt that she has more faith than me. I struggle with the sadnesses of sickness and death. I need to remember that God is in the healing business. He is the Great Physician, a loving, caring, merciful and compassionate Father who does not want His children to be physically sick.

My sister's cancer is in the early stages and very treatable. When I heard this, she said, "I was expecting to hear the worst." I answered her with, "And I was hoping for the best." Maybe I am becoming more faithful. Thank you Lord for your healing.

No comments:

Music of the Heart


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones