Friday, March 23, 2007

My Very Special Sister

A Very Special Sister

For many years we've shared our lives
One roof we once lived under
Sometimes we laughed, sometimes we cried
Through winter storms and thunder
The younger years have faded fast
We've gone our separate ways
But through all time our friendship lasts
Our bond in life remains
As summer brings the happy times
The autumn winds will whisper
A closer friend I'd never find
Than the one I call my Sister.

When my sister and I were kids we used to run in the fields where my dad was working not far from our little home with the wood burning stove. We would watch the dark clouds as they began to roll over above us. We'd hear the thunder and pretended that God was playing with a bowling ball. We knew lightening would follow soon. We could see our little house off in the distance and start running, laughing and yelling to each other. Once the lightening started, we would "dive" into the small waterless ditches along the field. We'd lay there side by side watching the lightening spread it's amazing rays across the sky. We'd look at each other and smile. I was scared, but I knew as long as she was there with me, I was ok. Once the rain began to fall, we'd run toward the house, entering drenched in rain. I remember those days and I know that she does, too. I was 4 and she was 5.

My sister has cancer. What do I do now? She has a lot of faith, I need to have faith, too. She tells me to stay positive and I will -- for her. We have a fight ahead of us so that when this is over, we can smile and laugh again. I love my sister. God bless her.

No comments:

Music of the Heart


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones